INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY CONSULTING
[PLEASE NOTE THAT FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS THIS SITE WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION !!]
Doctor of Philosophy
Professional Certificate of Competence in Chemical Engineering and Plant Design
I have experience in the following areas:
- Development of core-shell binders for decorative paints.
- Development of organic opacifiers (vesiculated beads) for decorative paints.
- Tandem catalysis using PNP catalyst system developed at SASOL for tetramerization together with metallocene catalysts to synthesize VLDPE and LLDPE.
- Highly branched waxes and HDPE using thermo-labile PNP catalyst system.
- Superabsorbent polymers using a spray dryer as reactor.
- Diesel wax modifiers using controlled free radical polymerization (RAFT).
- Fertilizer coatings for the attachment of micro-nutrients.
- Emulsifiers for emulsion explosives.
- Polyols for polyurethane foams using biomass and renewable raw materials.
- Novolacs (Phenol-formaldehyde thermoplastic resins) with dramatically enhanced properties as binders in brake pads.
- Resols (Phenol-formaldehyde thermoset resins) with extended shelf life and high activity for use in plywood adhesives.
- Hybrid phenolic-polyurethane foams using a novolac resin as polyol.
I also have experience in the manufacture of the following products:
- Defoamers in general and those that are formulated using vegetable oils.
- Polyacrylic acid dispersants and fatty acid esters of polyethylene glycols.
- Polymeric thickeners including ASE and HASE thickeners.
I was involved in the following theses:
- Rheology modifiers using Controlled Free Radical Polymerization.
- Controlled free radical polymerization – Emulsion Polymerization (Hodgson and Beyers).
- Tandem Catalysis.
- Use of reducing sugars to modify the rate of ATRP polymerization.
- Cold Flow Improvers – Controlled polymer morphology.
- Carbon Dioxide Absorption.
Some of the memorable projects I was involved in include:
1.Developed new novolac resin for brake pads that exceeds the performance of any brake pad resin currently used.
2.Developed gas-free curing system for brake pad manufacturing.
3.Developed radical new and enhanced plywood adhesive (resol) with significantly improved performance and the ability to manipulate the shelf life.
4. Developed a new hybrid phenol formaldehyde/polyurethane rigid foam.
5. Developed novolacs and resols with 50% replacement by mass of phenol
1.Developed agricultural fertilizer coatings for the attachment of micronutrients.
2. Developed slow release urea coatings.
3. Developed vegetable-based polyols for rigid and soft polyurethane foam.
4. Developed emulsifiers for emulsion explosives.
1.Tandem catalysis (one-pot synthesis) using a combination of tetramerization catalyst and metallocene catalysts in a single reactor.
2. Design of thermo-labile catalyst for the synthesis of synthetic micro-waxes and high density polyethylene.
3. Design of cold-flow improvers for GTL diesel based on the use of controlled free radical polymerization.
4. Synthesis of superabsorbents using a spray drier as reactor.
1. Core-shell latex binder for improved block resistance and overall improved performance for indoor decorative paints.
2. Designed polyester-based vesiculated beads as alternatives for Titanium Dioxide and to reduce water sensitivity and increase scrub resistance.